A perfect Bee’s Knees Cocktail with manuka honey!
The signature drink “Bee’s Knees” was invented during the 1920s by an Austrian born and part Jewish legendary man named Frank Meier.
Frank’s name may sound familiar because his failed attempt at assassinating Adolf Hitler has been discussed for decades, but today we want to concentrate on one of his other masterpieces – THE BEE’S KNEES cocktail, which he invented whilst bartending at the Hôtel Ritz in Paris.
The Bee’s knees cocktail features honey instead of sugar and its ingredients are a mix of honey, lemon and gin. Considering it is made with only three ingredients, it easy to make yet it’s a delicious cocktail to serve a crowd for parties and other occasions.
We recommend “upgrading” the cocktail by using Manuka Honey rather than just your standard honey as it adds complexity, sweetness & a healthy manuka honey “shot” to the drink whilst the lemons complement the sweetness into tart acidity and brings the drink into balance.
Ingredients for the Bees Knees Cocktail:
- 1 serving of Homemade Manuka Honey Syrup (Take 2 teaspoonsful of Manuka Honey and 2 teaspoons of water and mix your Manuka Honey into a syrup and stir well before using)
- 1.5 tablespoons of freshly squeezed Lemon Juice
- 3.5 tablespoons of London Dry Gin
How to make a Bees Knees Cocktail:
- Add the gin, lemon juice and the manuka honey syrup into a shaker with a large handful of ice and shake until it is well-chilled
- Strain into a cocktail glass
- Garnish with a twist of lemon zest over the edge of the glass and enjoy!
As you see, nice and simple….and now you can call yourself a bartender!
Send us a picture of your completed cocktails and we’ll credit you and add them to this blog & our social media channels.
In the meantime, why not check out the ranges of our Manuka Honey and see which one would suit your ingredients best. And don’t forget, all this month we have additional savings in celebration of the Queen’s Platinum Jubilee, so there’s really no excuse!